On Sinai God said: “Thou shalt not have strange gods before Me” (Exod. xx. 2-7). That is to say, “Thou shalt worship the true God only; thou shalt worship no false gods.” In the First commandment interior and exterior worship is required of us. To this commandment Our Lord referred when He said to Satan: “It is written the Lord thy God shalt thou adore, and Him only shalt thou serve” (Matt. iv. 10).
In the First Commandment God enjoins upon us to worship Him, and forbids idolatry and every false form of worship.
- 1. THE ADORATION OR WORSHIP OF GOD
- 2. IDOLATRY OR THE WORSHIP OF FALSE GODS
- 3. FOOLISH OR PERVERTED WORSHIP
- Sins Against the First Commandment
- 4. THE VENERATION OF SAINTS
- 5. THE VENERATION OF THE MOTHER OF GOD.
- 6. THE VENERATION OF IMAGES OF THE SAINTS
- 7. THE VENERATION OF RELICS
- 8. THE EXTRAORDINARY WORSHIP OF GOD
This article, THE FIRST COMMANDMENT OF GOD is a post from The Bellarmine Forum.
Do not repost the entire article without written permission. Reasonable excerpts may be reposted so long as it is linked to this page.