+ A.M.D.G. +
Sins Against the First Commandment
The First Commandment of God is transgressed:
1. By neglecting prayer.
The heathen had their household gods; they were to be seen in the halls of palaces as well as above the threshold of the lowliest dwellings. Yet Catholics, who worship the true God, too often deny Him the daily homage due to Him. The followers of Mohammed never omit, when the muezzin calls to prayer, to kneel down and perform their orisons, even in public places, while Christians, who hold the true faith, do not scruple to dispense with prayer almost entirely. Unhappy is the household where family prayer is an unknown thing!
2. By opposing religion, either by speaking against the faith, or by the publication or dissemination of books and periodicals hostile to the faith, or by joining associations of an anti-Christian character.
3. By worshipping idols or being engrossed in material interests.
4. By superstitions.
5. By telling fortunes or having one’s fortune told.
6. By invoking spirits, either for the purpose of searching out what is hidden, or of doing what cannot be done in the ordinary course of nature.
« Previous Section
3. FOOLISH OR PERVERTED WORSHIPNext Section »
4. THE VENERATION OF SAINTS
This article, Sins Against the First Commandment is a post from The Bellarmine Forum.
Do not repost the entire article without written permission. Reasonable excerpts may be reposted so long as it is linked to this page.