Pre-Synod Group Tamps Down Meddling Youth
Meddling kids want Latin Mass. They want to talk about it with the Pope in the Youth Synod next year. The group charged with presenting the voices of the youth, the “Pre-Synod” has decided they are a lobby and adjusted the summary accordingly.
The theme of nearly every Scooby Doo episode is that the villain gets caught by these youngsters. The young detectives foiled the criminal plot. In a scene with the bad guy bound up, after being unmasked, they’d invariably exclaim “And I would have gotten away with it had it not been for those meddling kids!”
I’m not sure how else to describe this Orwellian speak shown to the right. The “Pre-Synodal Meeting” group on Facebook is a group formulated to collect the comments of youth. It is a closed group, and it had age restrictions on membership. I am not a member, The screen captures were provided to me by a member yesterday.
GROUP’S PURPOSE WAS TO SOLICIT COMMENTS FROM YOUTH
The “Pre-Synodal Meeting” group was set up on Facebook to be a way for the English speaking comments to be collected and the comments of the youth to be sent to the Holy Father for the Synod on the Youth.
Interestingly, that screen capture was taken Monday morning.
THE SUMMARY DOCUMENT WAS NOT WHAT THE PARTICIPATING YOUTH EXPECTED
The group created a three page summary of the comments from youth. In the opinion of many participants, the summary bore little resemblance to the subjects they saw repeatedly.
Interpreting the Statement, in my humble opinion
I think the statement is the same sort of dismissive nonsense that I encountered as a twenty-something that loved Latin Mass, the Rosary, and Catholicism.
Let me restate it as how it comes across to me:
- We had a lot of work to do and some of you are angry that your desire for the extraordinary form was glossed over. Look, we have other issues (besides liturgy) to discuss.
- You people that are unhappy are too demanding for precise language. Implied: unreasonable. And by saying “some people“, we mean to minimize you and put you in your little place in the corner.
- You people in the corner worked some kind of magic on us and made your voices bigger than you really are. There is not that many of you that want Latin Mass. Go back to your corner of irrelevance.
- “Sense of lobby” wow, does this sound ominous!!! who is paying these kids and teaching them Lobbying? Wow! See, by using this language, those kids in the corner are made scary or conspiratorial!
- Despite everything we are saying here — that you are alone, and don’t matter, and don’t understand all these other issues — you are the problem. You see, you don’t trust us! That hurts our feelings, so you should be sorry over there in your dark conspiratorial corner.
- You guys broke the unwritten rules. You people in the corner. Look, this was a hidden document. We did all this work to make it (see point #1), but it really means nothing. Really, trust us! (see point 4)… nothing. you are worried about nothing. We do all this work and issue statement like this for nothing. You are blowing this out of proportion.
- We need to reiterate the rules. Snap in line and behave or we’ll start booting you insolent punks.
- God bless.
That’s how the statement reads to me.
What’s worse is the logo of the thing:
We talk together! See how happy that is!!!!
Now snap to it. Get with the Program.
This article, Pre-Synod Group Tamps Down Meddling Youth is a post from The Bellarmine Forum.
Do not repost the entire article without written permission. Reasonable excerpts may be reposted so long as it is linked to this page.